6.12.2011

HALF MARATHON

I reached a goal that I NEVER thought I would. I RAN A HALF MARATHON! It was such an amazing, hard, terrible, exciting journey. I signed up back in January and started training really hard. As time went on training became much harder to get done, so I kinda slacked off. The last month I had started to pick back up and train as much as I could. I wasn't anywhere close to where I wanted to be and time was here to run the race! I got sick the same week as the race with the flu and it only added to my concerns about completing the half marathon on Saturday. Thank goodness I got better quickly and regained my strength. June 11th was finally here. I had many doubts in my mind and was very nervous for the race but Kendra and Lance were there right by my side to lift me up and feel better about it. I knew I would go forward and give my all!
 We got our tags Friday Night and I finally got excited for the race
 We stayed at Lance's parents house so we would be closer but still woke up at 2 in the morning to be there in time to get on the buses! Oh boy it was early!!

 But if any of  you know me at early hours of the morning...I tend to get a little hyper! We were all set and ready to go
 Getting our last min Carbs in-peanut butter and jelly (or Cinnamon if your weird) ;)
 On the bus driving to where the race starts...this is nick our friend we made on the bus
 Waiting an hour and a half for the race to start. It was freezing outside! They had little fires all over but there were so many people we had to fight for a spot to get warm. 

 HERE WE GO!!!!!!!
 ....so many people
 crossing the finish line. (thats not the real time p.s.)
 AH!!! I DID IT!!!!!
 WE did it!!! Ah i'm so proud of them!
 Dats right...we are SO tough
 My time...you can't really see it but I completed it in 2 Hours and 29 min!
 oh the after affects...major head ache comin on
 After they were offering free massages and you better believe we waited in the long line to get one...oh it was so wonderful and muchly needed!

 Our Freaking Sweet Amazing shirts!
I can't believe I actually completed it! I felt so accomplished and it felt so AMAZING! I did so much better than I thought I was going to do. Kendra, Lance and I all started out running together and they started to go a little faster than I could so I stayed at my pace and took the fact that I was going to have to run this race alone. All in all though I was very glad for the experience I went through all on my own and pushing through a trail and something very hard all by myself it really taught me a life lesson and I feel changed because of what I learned at that moment. I ran without stopping (besides one little time because of an intimating hill that doesn't really count) until mile seven and a half! I was so proud of myself for going so long I didn't think I could go that far at all! The rest of the time I couldn't get back in my grove and ran as much as I could but walked more so in between my times of running. I made some great friends along the way though they didn't know they were my friends but in my head they really kept me going. I kept pushing forward and could finally see the finish line! The last .1 miles was so hard as I tried to run with all I had left to cross the finish line I just kept saying "for jake, for jake" and I made it across, completing the race in 2 hours and 29 min! Kendra and Lance were there to cheer for me and I was so thankful that they were there! After the feeling of wanting to pass out passed the realization that I just completed this 13.1 mile race hit me and the feeling was overwhelming! Trying to hold back tears I felt so accomplished and just on top of the world! I am so thankful for Kendra and Lance for supporting and always encouraging me, my family for the love and support they gave me, Jake for being with me in spirit and pushing me along when times got hard and for my Heavenly Father for the answers to prayers and giving me comfort, strength and helping fill in when I was giving my all. This really was a life changing experience and I am so thankful for it! It really taught me that I can do a lot more then I think I can and can do anything I put my mind to!
The Soreness Is definitely  not letting me forget this experience :)

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you!! I'm glad that thinking you were next to me turned to be a blessing in disguise for you :) We will definitely be accomplishing many more of these! I think we may have found a new hobby! Something to keep us going, to keep us strong and motivated! Thank you for keeping me motivated when I truly did not want to run. We accomplished 13.1 miles, now what is next!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I loved reading about your experience and I'm so glad you learned such an important lesson. You CAN do anything you put your mind to! I love you so much and I am SO proud of you!

    ReplyDelete